Invitation to Participate: Speak Up 2012
The Educational Technology and Online Learning NH Department of Education and Project Tomorrow invite all schools and districts to participate in the 10th annual Speak Up National Research Project.
The Speak Up National Research Project collects and reports on the authentic, unfiltered views and opinions of K-12 students, parents and educators on critical 21st century education and technology issues.
About Speak Up 2012
§ Online surveys open from October 3rd through December 14th.
§ Surveys available for: K-12 students, teachers, parents, technology leaders, librarians/media specialists, school and district administrators
§ The survey includes multiple choice and open ended questions and will take about 20 minutes to complete. All information is 100% confidential.
§ Use Speak Up data to: advocate for policies, programs & funding, as input into local plans, support grant proposals, engage your community, and learn about the ideas of your students, staff and parents.
Project Tomorrow has already registered all New Hamsphire schools to participate, all you have to do is encourage participation to your students, teachers, parents and administrators!
To take the survey: www.speakup4schools.org/speakup2012
Select your state:
Enter your school name and your Secret Word:
*Please note: passwords are case-sensitive
Project Tomorrow and the Speakup Survey has activated all schools in New Hampshire the state survey password: nhrocks. This should be ready sometime tomorrow afternoon. All schools that we have already registered will have the same set of passwords- the state survey password nhrocks will work in addition to their district passwords that have already been assigned to access the survey.
For districts that were not already registered Project Tomorrow will list our firstname.lastname@example.org as the main contact. If any district people would like to update their main contact information to designate someone from their district as the main contact, we can make that update and we will send them a follow up email with info on their passwords and the speak up process.
More about Speak Up
Who can participate?
· All K-12 schools and districts including private, parochial, virtual and charter schools are eligible to participate.
What Does Speak Up Include?
· Surveys for: K-12 students, teachers, librarian media specialists, parents, technology coordinators, school site and district administrators.
· Survey topics include: learning and teaching with technology, science instruction and STEM career exploration, professional development, online assessment, digital citizenship and emerging technology topics such as mobile devices & BYOD, online and blended learning, social media, e-textbooks and digital content.
· New questions this year on education technology funding, common core standards, blended learning, flipped classroom models and online reading comprehension.
· Free survey results - Your district and participating schools will have free, online access to the survey and results with state and national benchmarks.
· Gain insight about what's important to your stakeholders - The data highlights the usage, attitudes and aspirations of your stakeholders, giving you the ability to identify their priorities.
· Use the data to inform your strategic planning and budgeting process - The data can be used to facilitate discussions and measure the success of your initiatives. District administrators report using the data to inform their district technology plans and budgets, assess professional development needs, plan school reform efforts, measure the effectiveness of technology plans or substantiate grant applications.
· Ensure that your students, parents and educators are included in the national dialogue on K-12 education - The Speak Up results are released at Congressional Briefings, through special reports and presentations to staff at federal agencies and at key educational conferences. Your participation in Speak Up will ensure that your district, along with other innovative and forward-thinking districts, has a voice in the national dialogue.
Instructions for completing the Speak Up survey
1. Go to this link: www.speakup4schools.org/speakup2012
2. Click on the appropriate survey (Student, Educator, Parent).
3. Follow the given instructions to access the survey. Begin by clicking on the drop down button and select New Hampshire, then go to the next line and type in your school name to find your school.
4. Students will choose their grade level and enter the “secret word” password: nhrocks
5. Administrators/Teachers/Media Specialists/Tech Leaders will choose the appropriate survey and enter the “secret word” password: nhrocks
6. Parents will NOT need a survey password to access the survey.
7. Complete the survey.
To monitor your district’s progress go to: http://www.speakup4schools.org/speakup2012/surveycounts. Enter in your state and district name, click on your district name and enter in your district admin password. Survey counts by schools will then pop up- total for the district will be the last row.
Questions? Contact Jenny Hostert on the Speak Up Team at email@example.com or
(949) 609-4660 ext.17.